Renewal of Permit to Carry
Permits to carry are valid for five years. Any five-year permit expires at midnight on the date of expiration listed on the permit. It is a violation of state law to carry a handgun without a valid permit to carry.
Renewal applications must be made in person at the Ramsey County Sheriff's Office Gun Permit Unit, located on the first floor of the Law Enforcement Center, 425 Grove Street, Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101. Applications can be submitted Monday through Friday (except holidays) between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
It is recommended that renewal application packets be submitted at least 31 days prior to expiration as the processing time can take up to 30 days. Note: a renewal application cannot be made more than 90 days before a permit expires.
Requirements for renewal of a permit to carry:
- Applicant must appear in person and apply in the county in which they reside
- Applicant must present a completed application. Please wait to sign and date until the application is presented in person. The application is available to be downloaded from the Minnesota Department of Public Safety or at the Sheriff's Gun Permit Unit.
- Applicant must present a current, valid driver's license, state identification card or the photo page of their passport along with a legible copy. If using a passport, proof of current residency must be provided along with a legible copy.
- Applicant must present their current permit, and a legible copy.
- Applicant must present the original certificate of completed authorized training, and a legible copy. Training must be completed within one year before the date of the renewal application.
- Cash, check or credit card is accepted for the renewal fee of $75.00. After the expiration date, but within 30 days after the expiration, the permit can still be renewed by paying an additional late fee of $10.00. During this time the old permit is not valid and you will not be able to carry until you receive your renewal permit. 31 days after expiration, the old permit can no longer be renewed, and an application for a new permit will have to be submitted.
- See the exclusions to the permit to carry and permit renewals.
The Sheriff's Office will mail a new permit or explanation of denial within 30 days of receiving application.