Gun Permit Information

Contact us

The State of Minnesota has two permits related to handguns: permit to purchase/transfer and permit to carry.

Minnesota law requires a permit to purchase or transfer ownership in order to obtain a handgun through a purchase, sale, gift, loan, assignment or other delivery from another person. This permit is issued by the police department of the city in which the recipient or buyer lives. Residents of Arden Hills, Falcon Heights, Little Canada, North Oaks, Shoreview, Vadnais Heights and White Bear Township apply in person at 1411 Paul Kirkwold Drive, Arden Hills for this permit. Patrol Station lobby hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., excluding holidays.

Minnesota law requires a valid permit to carry in order to carry a handgun in public. By statute, the Sheriff's Office is responsible for managing all permits to carry in the county. A valid permit to carry also qualifies as a valid permit to purchase/transfer. All county residents must make application in person at 425 Grove Street, Saint Paul, for this permit.