It is the responsibility of the firearm owner to ensure his or her gun is inaccessible to children or careless adults. Simply hiding a gun does not mean that it has been stored safely. It is a gross misdemeanor to negligently store or leave a loaded firearm in a location where a person knows or reasonably should know that a child (under the age of 18) is likely to gain access.
When stored, firearms should be:
- Secured by a locking mechanism or in a gun safe.
- Placed out of sight and out of reach of children.
Older children may also find the keys to your gunlock or safe. Please take extra measures to prevent adolescents from gaining access to your gun.
Safe storage tips
- Keep firearms unloaded when not in use.
- Lock ammunition in a separate location.
- Use a trigger lock or cable lock, or place the gun in a safe or lock box (see below).