Civil Commitment Section

Contact us

We work to protect people who are struggling with mental illness, developmental disability or chemical dependency from harming themselves or others, while ensuring they receive the treatment they need. We also handle all indeterminate commitments including those who are found to be 'Mentally Ill and Dangerous' and 'Sexually Dangerous Persons.'


  • If you are concerned for the immediate safety of your loved one or others, call 9-1-1.
  • ​If your concern is not immediately life-threatening, call Ramsey County Urgent Care for Adult Mental Health at 651-266-7900. They can help you assess your loved one’s mental health needs and, if necessary, arrange for his/her transportation to a hospital for further assessment.

Petition process

Court process